Oxford University Press Canada has an opening for a highly organized and dynamic individual to assume the position of Sales and Editorial Representative in the Higher Education Division. The position will be based in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Oxford University Press (OUP) is the largest and second oldest university press in the world. Its imprint carries authority, its standards of book production are high, and its range of interests is wide. A department of the University of Oxford, the Press is not a company and it pays no dividend. It is devoted to the spread of knowledge, and all its surplus is devoted to the furtherance of scholarship, education, and research through transfers to the wider University.
With over a decade of continuous growth in the Canadian Higher Education market, OUP has situated itself as one of the fastest growing Higher Education publishers in Canada. As a global publisher, OUP is committed to looking beyond traditional publishing to develop new ways to support our customers.
The successful candidate will be responsible for strategically focusing time and effort on key sales opportunities to grow the assigned territory with a focus on new business development. Sales representatives should feel comfortable with cold-calling and prospecting, and thrive in independent, fast-moving work environments. They should be able to prioritize effectively in order to meet and surpass set sales targets.
- Growing existing customer base by researching new opportunities and following up on leads generated by head office
- Daily visits to university and college campuses, meeting with professors to discuss their specific course needs and match those to OUP products
- Effectively manage daily and weekly paperwork and administrative tasks, including weekly sales reports and expense reports
- Successfully planning daily, weekly, and monthly itineraries, matching potential business opportunities to campus visits
- Successfully implementing specific marketing campaigns to increase sales opportunities
- Strategic planning to develop and secure new business opportunities
- Developing strong relationships with faculty members, department staff, and bookstore personnel
- p>Sourcing possible author candidates, and sending market information to the acquisitions group
- Collaboratively working with colleagues and management in team settings
The successful candidate will possess a valid driver's license and a university degree. Excellent interpersonal, communication and time management skills are essential. Overnight travel is required. Previous sales and/or publishing experience may be considered an asset, but is not necessary. A minimum 1 year of experience in a professional workplace is required.
The successful candidate will receive outstanding sales and organizational training plus ongoing managerial support.
At OUP, we're committed to hiring, rewarding, and retaining the best people. Being a member of our team entitles you to a generous compensation plan (salary + incentive based bonus), comprehensive benefits program, and company car. OUP is committed to helping employees grow personally and professionally through various learning development initiatives. OUP employees are provided with on-going training, mentorship and professional education opportunities.
Applicants should forward their résumé and cover letter to:
Human Resources Assistant
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide.