Chapter 11: The Social Work Record and the Courts
Additional Recommended Readings
Cumming, S., E. Fitzpatrick, D. McAuliffe, S. McCain, C. Martin, and A. Tonge (2007). Raising the Titanic: Rescuing Social Work Documentation from the Sea of Ethical Risk. Australian Social Work, 60(2), 239–257. Retrieved from http://home.apu.edu/~ksetterlund/2012-2013/Articles/Cumming,%20et%20al%20-%20Raising%20the%20Titanic%20-%20Rescuing%20SW%20Documentation.pdf.
This article examines the importance of good documentation in social work practice from a risk management and ethical risk perspective, and makes recommendations for improving documentation.
Kahn, M.W., S.K. Bell, J. Walker. and T. Delbanco (2014). Opinion: Let’s Show Patients Their Mental Health Record. Journal of the American Medical Association, 311(13), 1291–1292. Retrieved from http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1853164.
This article discusses the benefits associated with physicians providing patients with access to their mental health records.
- Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, S.C. 2005, c. 5 http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/p-8.6/
- Privacy Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. P-21 http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/p-21/
- Health Information Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. H-5 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=h05.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779780921
- Personal Information Protection Act, S.A. 2003, c. P-6.5 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=P06P5.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779784554
British Columbia: www.bclaws.ca
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 165 http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96165_00
- Personal Information Protection Act, S.B.C. 2003, c. 63 http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/03063_01
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, C.C.S.M. c F175 http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/f175e.php
- Personal Health Information Act, C.C.S.M. c. P33.5 http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/p033-5e.php
- Personal Health Information Privacy and Access Act, S.N.B. 2009, c P-7.05 http://laws.gnb.ca/en/showfulldoc/cs/P-7.05//20150805
Newfoundland and Labrador: www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation
- Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, S.N.L. 2015, c. A-1.2 http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/a01-2.htm
- Personal Health Information Act, S.N.L. 2008, c. P-7.01 http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/p07-01.htm
Nova Scotia: nslegislature.ca/legc/
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, S.N.S. 1993, c. 5
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, CF.31 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90f31
- Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M-56 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90m56
- Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 S.O. 2004, c. 3, Sch A http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/04p03
Prince Edward Island: www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutesa
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, c. F-15.01 http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/f-15_01.pdf
- An Act Respecting Access to Documents Held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information, C.Q.L.R., c. A-2.1 http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=%2F%2FA_2_1%2FA2_1_A.htm
- Health Information Protection Act, S.S. 1999, c. H-0.021 http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/english/Statutes/Statutes/H0-021.pdf
Northwest Territories: www.justice.gov.nt.ca/legislation/search
- Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, S.N.W.T. 1994, c. 20 https://www.justice.gov.nt.ca/en/files/legislation/access-to-information-and-protection-of-privacy/access-to-information-and-protection-of-privacy.a.pdf?t1438801669872
- Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, S.N.W.T. (Nu) 1994, c. 20 http://www.justice.gov.nu.ca/apps/authoring/dspPage.aspx?page=CURRENT+CONSOLIDATIONS+OF+ACTS+AND+REGULATIONS&letter=A
Yukon Territory: www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/
- Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.Y. 2002, c. 1 http://www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/acts/atipp_c.pdf
- Health Information Privacy and Management Act, S.Y. 2013, c 16 http://www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/acts/hipm.pdf
- What is a social worker’s obligation to ensure the confidentiality of the clinical record and under what circumstances will the social worker be required to reveal the record?
- What precautions should a social worker take in preparing clinical records in order to ensure that clients’ rights are protected?
- How might a social worker best prepare for a court appearance?
- What are the ethical obligations of social workers when preparing assessments for the courts?