Chapter 12: Liability for Social Workers
Additional Recommended Readings
Reamer, F.G. (2013). Social work in a digital age: Ethical and risk management challenges. Social Work, 58(2), 173–172. Retrieved from http://sw.oxfordjournals.org/content/58/2/163.abstract.
This article examines the risks and benefits associated with the use of digital, online, and other electronic technologies in social work practice.
O’Leary, P., M. Tsui, and G. Ruch (2013). The Boundaries of the Social Work Relationship Revisited: Towards a Connected, Inclusive and Dynamic Conceptualisation. British Journal of Social Work, 43, 135–15. Retrieved from http://bjsw.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/01/10/bjsw.bcr181.
The authors consider professional boundaries as a means of safeguarding against power imbalances, discrimination, and exploitation, and argue for a model that emphasizes “connection” rather than “separation.”
Federal Agreement: http://www.cicic.ca/docs/mra/social-workers.en.pdf
- Mutual Recognition Agreement on Labour Mobility for Social Workers in Canada http://www.cicic.ca/docs/mra/social-workers.en.pdf
- Fatality Inquires Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. F-9 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=F09.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779784202
- Health Professions Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. H-7 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=H07.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779787166
- Protection for Persons in Care Act, R.S.A. 2000, c. P-29 http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=P29P1.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779784752
British Columbia: www.bclaws.ca
- Child, Family and Community Service Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 46 http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96046_01
- Coroners Act, R.S.B.C. 2007, c. 15 http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/07015_01
- Health Care (Consent) and Care Facility (Admission) Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 181 (enacted in part only) http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96181_01
- Social Workers Act, S.B.C 2008, c. 31 http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/08031_01
- Fatality Inquiries Act, C.C.S.M., c. F52 http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/f175e.php
- Social Work Profession Act, S.M. 2009, c. 31 https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/2009/c03109e.php
- Vulnerable Persons Living with a Mental Disability Act, C.C.S.M. 1993, c. V90 https://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/v090e.php
- Coroners Act, S.N.B., c. C-23 http://laws.gnb.ca/en/showfulldoc/cs/C-23//20150805
- Family Services Act, S.N.B. 1980, c. F-2.2 http://laws.gnb.ca/en/showfulldoc/cs/F-2.2//20150805
- An Act to Incorporate the New Brunswick Association of Social Workers, 1988 http://www.nbasw-atsnb.ca/download/NBASW%20ACT.pdf
Newfoundland and Labrador: www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation
- Fatalities Investigation Act, S.N.L. 1995, c. F-6.1 http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/f06-1.htm
- Adult Protection Act, S.N.L 2011, c A-4.01 http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/a04-01.htm
- Social Workers Act, S.N.L 2010, c. S-17.2 http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/s17-2.htm
Nova Scotia: nslegislature.ca/legc/
- Adult Protection Act, R.S., c. 2, s. 1
- Fatality Investigations Act, S.N.S. 2001, c. 31
- Social Workers Act, S.N.S. 1993, c. 12
- Child and Family Services Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.11 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c11
- Coroners Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. C.37 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c37
- Health Professions Procedural Code (1991), Schedule 2 of the Regulated Health Professions Act, S.O. 1991, c. 18 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/91r18
- Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, S.O. 2007, c. 8. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/07l08
- Services and Supports to Promote the Social Inclusion of Persons with Developmental Disabilities Act, 2008, S.O. 2008, c. 14. http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/91r18
- Social Work and Social Service Work Act, S.O. 1998, c. 31 http://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/98s31
Prince Edward Island: www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutesa
- Adult Protection Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, c. A-5 http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/a-05.pdf
- Coroners Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, c. C-25.1 http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/c-25_1.pdf
- Social Work Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, Cap S-5 http://www.gov.pe.ca/law/statutes/pdf/s-05.pdf
- An Act respecting the Determination of the causes and circumstances of death, R.S.Q., c. R-0.2 http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=%2F%2FR_0_2%2FR0_2_A.htm
- Règlement sur la Représentation Régionale et Sectorielle au Sein du Conseil D'administration de l'Ordre Professionnel des Travailleurs Sociaux et des Thérapeutes Conjugaux et Familiaux du Québec, R.L.R.Q c. C-26, r. 295 http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gouv.qc.ca/dynamicSearch/telecharge.php?type=2&file=%2F%2FC_26%2FC26R295.htm
- Coroners Act, S.S. 1999, c. C-38.01 http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/C38-01.pdf
- Social Workers Act, S.S. 1993, c. S-52.1 http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/S52-1.pdf
Northwest Territories: www.justice.gov.nt.ca/legislation/search
- Coroners Act, R.S.N.W.T. 1988, c. C-20 https://www.justice.gov.nt.ca/en/files/legislation/coroners/coroners.a.pdf?t1438805157551
Yukon Territory: www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/
- Decision-Making Support and Protection to Adults Act, S.Y. 2003, c. 21 http://www.gov.yk.ca/legislation/acts/dmspa_c.pdf
- What is a discipline committee? What sanctions may be imposed upon a social worker by a discipline committee?
- When are coroner’s inquests called?
- Identify two duties to be observed by social workers, and give an example of breach of each that could give rise to liability.
- List three strategies that social workers can employ to protect themselves from liability.