Quiz for Chapter 18
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mass culture can be seen as a product of ________.
a) the cultural industries
b) discriminating consumers
c) marketing departments
Answer: A (Page 449)
2. What term is used today to refer to how dominant groups in society exercise their intellectual and moral leadership?
Answer: A (Page 450)
3. What social movement introduced residential segregation based on social class?
a) the French Revolution
b) the Post-Industrial Revolution
c) the American Revolution
d) the Industrial Revolution
Answer: D (Page 450)
True or False Questions
1. By the time children are two, they understand that television is make-believe.
Answer: False (Page 468)
2. Violence has only recently played a role in entertainment.
Answer: False (Page 459)
3. Those who use the term 'mass culture' want to make sure that popular culture is identified as commercial culture.
Answer: True (Page 449)
Fill in the Blank Questions
1. Gramsci used the term ________ to refer to the way in which dominant groups in society use intellectual and moral leadership to try to win ascent over subordinate groups.
Answer: hegemony (Page 450)
2. The ________ produced a great deal of fear among members of the British government.
Answer: French Revolution (Page 450)
3. ________ relationships are generally two-directional and, therefore, social.
Answer: One-to-one (Page 452)
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the consequences of the apparent link between media coverage and consumer spending?
Answer: When the lines between news and entertainment are blurred, it is hard for consumers of mass culture and communication to know whom to trust.
2. What media has been accused of contributing to cultural and political decadence?
Answer: From its very first commercial appearance in the late 1940s, television, more than any other medium, has been accused of contributing to cultural and political decadence.
3. What did Jonathan Freedman suggest that we look to for explanations of growing rates of violence and crime?