Study Questions: Chapter 4
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Methods for paragraph development are often referred to as ________.
a) methodological patterns
b) development patterns
c) paragraph patterns
d) organizational patterns
B (p. 84)
2. Tracing a topic’s development over time is a ________ method of development.
b) cause and effect
A (p. 87)
3. A story can be used in an essay to ________.
a) lend drama to the argument
b) illustrate a point
c) reinforce or introduce a topic
d) All of the above
D (p. 88)
4. A ________ essay focuses on the step-by-step stages of a process.
C (p. 88)
5. When a writer is arguing that the costs of a specific topic outweigh the benefits, the writer should __________.
a) consider the costs first and then the benefits
b) consider the benefits first and then the costs
c) exclude any discussion of benefits
d) state the strongest argument first
A (p. 93)
6. The ________ method uses concrete examples to support a point in an essay.
C (p. 91)
7. The problem-solution method of development is particularly common in the ________.
c) social sciences
d) None of the above
C (p. 92)
8. A(n) __________ method of development compares two different objects that have only one thing in common.
c) comparison and contrast
A (p. 93)
9. Asking “How can it be told?” of a topic leads to a(n) ________ method of development.
B (p. 85)
10. When a writer applies the comparison and contrast method, he or she begins by first finding ________.
a) logical bases of comparison
c) logical bases of identification
d) logical bases of narration
A (p. 93)
Short Answer Questions
1. The __________ can determine which method of development to use in organizing an essay.
essay topic (p. 85)
2. 2. A __________ essay focuses on an aspect of the writer’s life or a relevant experience.
personal (p. 89)
3. __________ can allow a writer to convey precisely what he or she will discuss.
Definitions (p. 86)
4. The __________ method looks back to a topic’s timeline and traces its development over time.
chronological (p. 87)
5. Description should play a __________ role in an argument.
limited (p. 87)
6. Narration can help __________ a point.
illustrate (p. 88)
7. One of the best ways to support a point is to provide a concrete __________.
example (p. 91)
8. Because all things come with positive or negative consequences, the __________ method can be applied to almost any topic.
cost-benefit analysis (p. 93)
9. A comparison between two objects to better understand the initial object or idea is called __________.
an analogy (p. 93)
10. The process of __________ organizes a large number of items into more manageable groups.
classification (p. 90)