Study Questions: Chapter 6
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the textbook, the traditional and most common way to create reader interest is called the __________.
a) logical approach
b) traditional approach
c) common approach
d) dramatic approach
A (p. 113)
2. A traditional introduction is often referred to as the __________.
a) dramatic approach
b) upright pyramid
c) inverted pyramid
d) None of the above
C (p. 113)
3. The dramatic approach to an essay introduction can begin with __________.
a) a quotation
b) a question
c) a personal experience
d) All of the above
D (p. 114)
4. A writer should announce his or her topic and main points in the __________.
c) opening sentence
d) first body paragraph
B (p. 116)
5. An essay that begins with a general statement before dramatically arguing the opposite is an example of a __________ approach.
D (p. 115)
6. A simple thesis statement has __________ necessary parts.
d) None of the above
A (p. 118)
7. In an introduction, the writer should not __________ the main points.
d) none of the above
B (p. 121)
8. All of the following, except for __________, are all types of essay conclusions.
d) Both B and C
A (p. 49)
9. A circular conclusion ________ the thesis.
A (p. 126)
10. ”Everyone these days has used a computer at one time or another.” This opening sentence is an example of an __________ opening sentence.
C (p. 126)
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________ approach to an introduction is used to surprise or intrigue the reader.
dramatic (p. 114)
2. The logical approach is also called the ________ structure.
inverted pyramid (p. 113)
3. The ________ approach is the most common and traditional way to develop interest in a topic.
logical (p. 113)
4. An effective thesis statement should be interesting, ________, and ________.
specific; manageable (p. 119)
5. The introduction is a writer’s first opportunity to establish his or her ________.
credibility (p. 116)
6. Two specific types of thesis statements covered in the textbook are ________ and ________.
simple; expanded (p. 118)
7. The length of an introduction usually varies according to the length of the ________.
essay (p. 121)
8. The two kinds of conclusions are ________ and ________.
circular; spiral (p. 126)
9. A conclusion should be ________, but not boring or ________.
predictable; repetitive (p. 126)
10. A conclusion should restate the thesis, but not ________.
word for word (p. 127)