Quiz for Chapter 19
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Boyd's label for teens who publically uphold the values of adult society?
a) straight edge
b) hegemonic teens
c) public youth
Answer: B (Page 484)
2. ________ refers to the value assigned to social networks between socially heterogeneous groups.
a) Value capital
b) Evaluative capital
c) Heterogeneous capital
d) Bridging social capital
Answer: D (Page 488)
3. What is Boyd's label for sub-culturally identified and non-hegemonic teens?
a) secondary youth culture
Answer: B (Page 484)
True or False Questions
1. Boyd identified a class division based on gender.
Answer: False (Page 483)
2. One of the most important factors driving the popularity of social networking sites is the increasing isolation of people from face-to-face communications.
Answer: False (Page 480)
3. Digital communication technologies create opportunities for social interaction where there previously were none.
Answer: True (Page 476)
Fill in the Blank Questions
1. Forty million Americans use online ________ services
Answer: dating (Page 480)
2. Consistent with Pierre Bourdieu's ideas about habitus and distinctions in taste being class markers ________ are clearly an issue that separate the teens using Facebook from those using MySpace.
Answer: aesthetics (Page 484)
3. Recently, sociologists have been examining the role of the Internet in facilitating the formation of ________.
Answer: social capital (Page 487)
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a study by Veenhof and associates show regarding Internet use?
Answer: Veenhof and associates' study showed that many Canadians use the Internet to enhance social contact.
2. What is Mizuko Ito's argument regarding the use of online spaces by young people?
Answer: Mizuko Ito argues that young people today try to establish autonomy and identity through their use of online spaces.
3. What is the best predictor for how someone will side on the issue of gay rights?
Answer: The best predictor for how someone will side on the issue of gay rights is whether or not they know someone who is gay.